Men's Outdoor Jackets(20 Products)
Don’t let the elements stop your desire for adventure, defend yourself with Salewa’s Men’s Outdoor Jackets. Whether you're speed hiking, rock climbing, or trekking, our activity-specific outdoor jackets are tailored with free motion patterning to ensure ideal flexibility and movement. Choose the option that's right for you – hardshell fabrics offer optimal protection and greater durability, while softshell jackets are more lightweight, offer added freedom of movement and waterproof protection such as rain jacket. If you are embarking on a mountain climb in challenging weather conditions, we recommend our mountain climbing jackets with GORE-TEX® for their outstanding waterproofing and windproofing properties. For climbing adventures in less severe temperatures, we recommend our water-repellent, flexible and breathable softshell. Optimize your outdoor adventure and complete your outfit with matching softshell or hardshell men's trousers from our selection of Men's Outdoor Bottoms.
- Men's Hiking / Trekking Jackets - Best Selection!
- Men's Mountaineering Jackets » Shop Online!
- Men's Ski Mountaineering Jackets » Pure Mountain|
- Men's Red Outdoor Jackets » Shop Online!
- Men's Green Outdoor Jackets » Shop Online!
- Men's Windbreaker / Windproof Jackets Online
- Men's Waterproof Jackets for each Outdoor Activity
- Men's Breathable Jackets for each Outdoor Activity
- Men's Mountain Light Jackets » Shop Online!
How to choose an outdoor jacket for men?
So what do you need to consider? First up, which season is the jacket for and what weather conditions do you expect to encounter?
- For less severe conditions
To be able to adjust to changing conditions, go for a light shell and midlayer or a breathable softshell that you can wear all day whatever the weather.
- For rainy conditions
Lightweight packable rain jacket or waterproof, breathable hardshell – the choice is yours.
- For cold-weather conditions
Down has an excellent warmth-to-weight ratio down, while wool and synthetic insulation fills come into their own in wetter conditions.
Don’t forget the gilet option – they’re an easy way to get additional core body warmth and won’t take up much space in your pack.
What types of outdoor jackets are there?
Think about what activity you want your jacket for:
- Speed Hiking – lightweight, packable weather-protective shells, built for comfort, and breathability.
- Trekking – reliable waterproof, breathable jackets for extensive mountain use.
- Mountaineering – rugged hardshells with climbing-specific detailing, engineered to ensure full freedom of movement.
- Ski Touring – weatherproof jackets that provide protection from the elements without you overheating.
- Climbing – lightweight jackets to keep you dry and comfortable, while enabling outstanding freedom of movement.
- Alpine Life – less technical jackets offering warmth, breathability and lightweight comfort in classic alpine styles.
How important is the design of outdoor jackets?
SALEWA® is known for its outstanding fits and ergonomic designs. We tailor each jacket for a specific activity focus. By using free motion patterning and bodymapped insulation, we ensure that they follow your movements and provide you with targeted warmth where you need it most.
What material is best for an outdoor jacket?
There are so many great technical performance fabrics out there. Maybe, the first issue to clear up is how you feel about softshells? Softshells protect you from the elements, but not to the extent that a hardshell jacket will. Often made of a softer fabric, they can serve as a midlayer under a hardshell or alone during high-intensity mountain use in less severe weather conditions. If the weather looks like it could be bad, you can’t beat a waterproof, breathable hardshell.
For insulation jackets, down has the highest warmth-to-weight ratio, but is less effective in wet weather. Synthetic insulation and wool blends perform well when wet, resist water and are highly breathable.
How should an outdoor jacket fit?
You want a jacket that will follow your movements, but not get in the way.
Loose means more ventilation and options to add layers underneath, whereas a tighter fit will be more streamlined in strong winds and have a lower overall weight. All our mountain shells are designed to give you full reach on overhead moves without the hem riding up. Bear in mind that softshells also have stretch built into the fabric and are generally less restrictive.
Think also about the length of your jacket. Are you looking for a short, regular or longer cut? Length is an important aspect to consider and will depend on your body shape.
Decent cuffs can make a world of difference. For use in colder/ winter conditions, your cuffs should extend to cover your wrists and still allow room for gloves.
Check that the jacket has the right number of pockets and that you will still be able to access them when you’re wearing a pack or harness.