HIKE&FLY A NEW WAY
TO EXPERIENCE THE MOUNTAIN
WE WANT TO TAKE YOUR PASSION FOR THE MOUNTAINS A LITTLE FURTHER!
WE HAVE PARTNERED WITH SKYWALK TO GET YOU CLOSER TO THE WORLD OF HIKE&FLY!
With light equipment in the backpack, you've hiked to the summit and are ready to fly back down to the valley - this is what 'Hike&Fly' means. This sport combines two sports and becomes a new discipline.
The idea of making Hike&Fly a discipline came about when two brands wanted to combine their very specific skills. Salewa CEO Stefan Rainer and Arne Wehrlin, CEO of skywalk paragliders, jointly developed the vision of turning a niche into a broad movement that appeals to paragliders and mountaineers alike. As a progressive mountain sports specialist, Salewa contributes its know-how on the subject of shoes, clothing and backpacks., and the paragliding specialist skywalk applies its experience and technical expertise to the development of light, easily stowed gliders that are perfect for the sport of Hike&Fly.
The two companies not only develop special products for Hike&Fly, they are also actively involved in the development of the new sport. Both companies are supporting athletes, sponsoring the most important Hike&Fly competition - the Red Bull X Alps, and promoting training through flight schools in the Alpine region.
This website is a joint platform of the two brands to provide active and interested Hike&Fly pilots with information, news and exciting stories about the growing sport.
INNOVATION AND TRADITION
FROM SPEED HIKING
Hike&Fly is a combination of speed hiking and paragliding. The ascent is powered by your legs, while the paraglider is in charge of the descent. Hiking and flying is possible almost everywhere in the mountains, which gives you an enormous feeling of freedom. Hike&Fly is a very special experience and pure adventure!
- Hiking equipment: good hiking boots, functional clothing, possibly hiking poles
- Paragliding equipment: Paraglider, harness included rescue system, backpack, helmet
- In Italy, Austria, Germany and Switzerland a license for paragliding is mandatory. The training usually takes about 2 - 3 weeks, depending on the weather. Training does not have to be done in one go and can be divided into several blocks.
- With a one-day test course or tandem flight you can familiarize yourself with the sport in advance.
- Hike&Fly is already a fixed component of various flight schools. Below you can find out more about the training ,or book your test course, tandem flight or a complete course:
- Italy: https://www.flugschule-suedtirol.it
- Austria: https://www.cloudbase.tirol/
- Germany: http://freiraum-info.de